[exim] configuration problems

Author: Lance Vavricka
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] configuration problems
Hello,

We have been using exim for a while now but just upgraded to 4.68 and
decided to do the configuration from scratch and implemented SMTP
Authentication which we didn't have setup before. Everything is working
fine but I can't help but notice that email is being shown On behalf of,
such as...

"username@??? on behalf of User
[username@???]

This on behalf of is confusing quite a few people and we would like to get
rid of it. I understand that message is coming from the reader itself but
Is getting that from how the headers are being written.

username@??? is the email address and the smtp auth username

here's part of the headers also...
    by mail.domain.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.68)
    (envelope-from <"username@???>)
    id 1Ihf4F-0004Z3-Sr

mail.domain.com I'm assuming is coming from the primary_hostname but
shouldn't be the domain for the email addresses. I've also seen a few
messages in the queue sitting such as:

5h  106K 1IhadN-0005MJ-7M <> *** frozen ***
          "username@???

Everything I've come across online is being referenced to Cpanel which we
are not using. This configuration is using a mysql database with several
other domains which is all working for relaying, we just have the above
mentioned problem. I just can't find out why the mail.domain.com is being
appended to the return-path and envelope-from. Any help would be
appreciated. And not to mention that I can't email other exim servers as
it's trying to verify username@???@mail.domain.com and will reject
it because of Restricted characters in the address.

Thanks,
Lance