Re: [exim] Poor documentation on upgrade

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Poor documentation on upgrade
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:29:11 +0100, Keith Edmunds
<kae@???> wrote:
>My point is that, for all but simple cases, you need to understand how
>Exim works to use the exim4-config mechanism effectively,

yes. The Debian configuration only caters for about 90 % of users. I
think that's pretty good.

>and if you DO
>understand how Exim works, why would you want to do anything other than
>maintain your own exim4.conf?

On my own servers, I actually use Debian's split configuration scheme,
tailored to my needs. I think if one knows the structure of exim's
configuration, having one router/transport per file makes it much
easier to work with. But since your mileage may vary, there is more
than one way to do it.

The only thing that I violently object to is advising newbies who do
not know how exim works to use a hand-made exim.conf. That's a really
really bad idea.

If you know how exim works, please, by all means, use every
possibility that exim and debian gives to you.

Greetings
Marc