Re: [exim] Poor documentation on upgrade

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Poor documentation on upgrade
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:37:05 +0200, mh+exim-users@??? said:

> What do you suggest doing better?

At the risk of starting a long, protracted argument that is probably
inappropriate on this list, I'd stop trying to be all things to all men.
Exim is probably the most configurable MTA around (at least if you want to
avoid Sendmail), and it is a mistake to try to wrap up all that
functionality into DEBCONFthis and DEBCONFthat. For a simple mail server
that receives mail for a few domains it's fine; for anything more complex
it fails. I spent too long trying to use Debian's exim4-config mechanism to
set up a server that would bypass spam checking for authenticated users,
maintain an archive of all sent and received mail, do recipient
verification via LDAP, reject messages with a spamassassin score above X
with an appropriate message, validate recipients for secondary MXs via
a text file, and handle recipients for one specific domain differently to
the rest. Using /etc/exim4/exim4.conf is just simpler. Much simpler.

> > Just put an exim4.conf in /etc/exim4 and manage it yourself.
>
> I must of course object to this advice unless you volunteer to do all
> support for Debian users who follow you.

Of course I don't volunteer to do that, any more than you would volunteer
to support all Debian users who want to use only exim4-config. Or are you
saying that, had I asked, you would have helped me set up the
configuration described above?

My point is that, for all but simple cases, you need to understand how
Exim works to use the exim4-config mechanism effectively, and if you DO
understand how Exim works, why would you want to do anything other than
maintain your own exim4.conf?

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |