[exim] retry times

Author: Sergei Gerasenko
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] retry times
Hello,

Sorry if this is an FAQ. I've got a bunch of messages sitting in my
queue because the recipient is blocking us for now: a fluke in their
configuration.

What I don't get is this. When I do "exim -bp", a lot of the messages
show that they have been in the queue for 50 hours and more. So I take
one of those messages and do "exinext email_address". What it tells me is
that that the message first failed about 10 minutes ago, last failed at
the same time and the next try is going to be attempted in 15 minutes.

I'm using the default retry rule in the configuration, which is this:

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

And so exim tries every 15 minutes on all these messages that have been
in the queue for longer than 2 hours. Because I have a lot of them, the
log is growing pretty quickly. By the end of the day it's something like
700 MB.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Sergei