Re: [exim] Helo Rules Help

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
CC: Graeme Fowler
Subject: Re: [exim] Helo Rules Help
Wil wrote:

> Not the way they are supposed to. Alot of the true localhost activity is
> getting blocked which shouldn't for starters. Am I missing something on the
> syntax?

You're going to have to ask more specific questions about what you want
to accomplish, and how it's failing, if we're going to be able to help you.

Log snippets and debug output (not obfuscated) showing the failures
would be best.

> Additionally how do I know when to use {0}{1}, {1}{0}, or nothing at all?
> The docs don't seem to explain anything about that very clearly. I have just
> been using trial and error and I prefer to actually know what I am doing.

The "condition=" condition expects its parameter to be a boolean string
(1 or 0, or spelled out as true or false, or yes or no). The $if
expansion defaults it's final two parameters (the then case and the else
case) to 1 and 0, but that's fairly new behaviour, so you'll see a lot
of examples out there with the {1}{0} parameters at the end. You can
just leave them off in recent versions of exim, I find it simpler to
read that way. {0}{1} is just a negation of the condition, I find it
simpler to just use ! to negate the condition.

You should read chapter 11 of the docs:
http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch11.html

- Marc