[exim] Make permanent error temporary?

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Make permanent error temporary?
Hi,

I have a problem with a firewall that has a transparent SMTP proxy
which returns a 550 error on initial connection if the "real" server
that the exim behind the proxy refuses connections.

This, of course, causes the exim behind the proxy to immediately
bounce the message instead of trying the next MX or to queue the
message.

While this is being sorted out with the proxy vendor, can I make exim
treat the 550 as a temporary error? Maybe only this particular 550?

Greetings
Marc