Re: [exim] Backing up or Transferring the Mail Queue

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Backing up or Transferring the Mail Queue
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, I wrote:

> Use of "localhost_number" can help here (but only if you set it in
> advance). Useful if you have a farm of functionally similar servers,
> give each its own localhost_number and it will be used in the message id
> (and hence in the queue filenames) making them unique per-server.

Probably not necessary, but for the record, I will correct myself. What I
meant to say here was "making them unique across the whole farm".
Obviously the message ids are already unique per-server ...

Perhaps also not necessary to say, but nevertheless: localhost_number only
affects the assignment of the message id. A server doesn't just look for
message ids containing its own localhost_number; any message in the queue
is fair game, whatever the message id.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services