[exim] Setting up Exim & Spamassassin on Debian

Author: Murf
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Setting up Exim & Spamassassin on Debian

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me set up Spamassassin with Exim4 on Debian.
I have installed Exim4 and it is working fine. Spamd is also running, but
mail does not appear to be routed to Spamassassin. Email headers are not
being altered and doing both "grep spam /var/log/*" and "grep spam
/var/log/exim4/*" show nothing other than that in "syslog" it says spamd was
started.

I've tried using sa-exim. I made sure that "SAEximRunCond: 0" has been
commented out of "sa-exim.conf", but it won't scan my email.

After messing about with sa-exim, I tried using ACLs. So far I have the
following files in "/etc/exim4/conf.d/acl":

00_exim4-config_header

acl_smtp_data = acl_check_data

begin acl

40_exim4-config_check_data

acl_check_data:

# Deny unless the address list headers are syntactically correct.

#

# If you enable this, you might reject legitimate mail.

.ifdef CHECK_DATA_VERIFY_HEADER_SYNTAX

deny

    message = Message headers fail syntax check

    !acl = acl_whitelist_local_deny

    !verify = header_syntax

.endif

# require that there is a verifiable sender address in at least

# one of the "Sender:", "Reply-To:", or "From:" header lines.

.ifdef CHECK_DATA_VERIFY_HEADER_SENDER

deny

    message = No verifiable sender address in message headers

    !acl = acl_whitelist_local_deny

    !verify = header_sender

.endif

# Deny if the message contains malware. Before enabling this check, you

# must install a virus scanner and set the av_scanner option in the

# main configuration.

#

# exim4-daemon-heavy must be used for this section to work.

#

# deny

# malware = *

# message = This message was detected as possible malware
($malware_name).

# Add headers to a message if it is judged to be spam. Before enabling
this,

# you must install SpamAssassin. You also need to set the spamd_address

# option in the main configuration.

#

# exim4-daemon-heavy must be used for this section to work.

#

# Please note that this is only suiteable as an example. There are

# multiple issues with this configuration method. For example, if you go

# this way, you'll give your spamassassin daemon write access to the

# entire exim spool which might be a security issue in case of a

# spamassassin exploit.

#

# See the exim docs and the exim wiki for more suitable examples.

#

warn

     spam = Debian-exim:true

#     message = X-Spam_score: $spam_score\n\

     add_header = X-Spam_score: $spam_score\n\

               X-Spam_score_int: $spam_score_int\n\

               X-Spam_bar: $spam_bar\n\

               X-Spam_report: $spam_report

# This hook allows you to hook in your own ACLs without having to

# modify this file. If you do it like we suggest, you'll end up with

# a small performance penalty since there is an additional file being

# accessed. This doesn't happen if you leave the macro unset.

.ifdef CHECK_DATA_LOCAL_ACL_FILE

.include CHECK_DATA_LOCAL_ACL_FILE

.endif

# Reject messages that have serious MIME errors.

# This calls the demime condition again, but it

# will return cached results.

deny message = Serious MIME defect detected ($demime_reason)

demime = *

condition = ${if >{$demime_errorlevel}{2}{1}{0}}

# Reject file extensions used by worms.

# Note that the extension list may be incomplete.

deny message = This domain has a policy of not accepting certain types of
attachments \

                  in mail as they may contain a virus.  This mail has a file
with a .$found_extension \

                  attachment and is not accepted.  If you have a legitimate
need to send \

                  this particular attachment, send it in a compressed
archive, and it will \

                  then be forwarded to the recipient.

demime = exe:com:vbs:bat:pif:scr

# accept otherwise

accept

This has not helped either! Mail goes through without being scanned by
Spamassassin.

Could anyone advise me on how to get this up and running? I have read so
many documents and walkthroughs but to no avail.

I don't mind which way I get Spamassassin to work, I'm just desperate to get
it working. It's been driving me mad for weeks!

Thanks and Advance!