Re: [pcre-dev] Yet Another RC

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Sheri
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Yet Another RC
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Sheri wrote:

> When building RC3 using CMake as configurer for Visual Studio Express, I
> get these warnings and errors. Note that pcre_scanner_unittest doesn't
> currently build. Are the warnings on the other components nothing to
> worry about?

Hopefully Craig will comment on the data warnings in the C++ sources.

> pcre_scanner_unittest.cc
> ..\pcre-7.4-RC3\pcre_scanner_unittest.cc(136) : error C3861: 'snprintf':
> identifier not found

Aarrgghh!! This module currently has

#ifdef HAVE_WINDOWS_H
# define snprintf _snprintf
#endif

Previously it tested _WIN32 instead of HAVE_WINDOWS_H, but someone (was
it you?) had a problem with that in one or other mode of building, so I
changed it (as per discussion on this list). [This reminds me of my PhD
theses, where one equation had > changed to >= and back so many times,
at the whim of supervisors and examiners, that the buildup of Snopaque
was getting serious...]

I'm afraid I can only do what I'm advised to do on this one... Help!

> pcretest.c
> ..\pcre-7.4-RC3\pcretest.c(1358) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from
> 'unsigned long' to 'pcre_uint16', possible loss of data

...etc ...

Those could do with the insertion of some casts.

> 'unsigned long' to 'pcre_uint16', possible loss of data
> ..\pcre-7.4-RC3\pcretest.c(1599) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from
> 'unsigned long' to 'uschar', possible loss of data

Those might as well get some casts too.

Neither of the pcretest groups of warnings is anything to worry about.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.