Re: [exim] unseen and headers_add

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] unseen and headers_add
WJCarpenter wrote:
> The spec says "Warning 2: If the unseen option is set on the router,
> all header additions are deleted when the address is passed on to
> subsequent routers."
>
> Drat.
>
> I'd like to add a header (actually, modify the subject) in an unseen
> router. What tricks are other people using to accomplish this? (I am
> thinking of adding some junk to the redirect data so that I can
> process it with some other router that won't match normal addresses.
> Since I haven't tried this yet, I don't know if I'll be successful.)

A) Use the acl_m variables.

They accompany the message they are born with and can be read, but not (yet)
modified in the routers and transports.

You can still add headers at the *last* router - based on values in acl_m(n).

B) AFAIK, that part of the spec applies only to headers added/modified during
the delivery process. We modify 'Subject:' and add headers in DATA acl's that
traverse as many a 4 chained 'unseen' routers without loss or alteration.

HTH,

Bill