Re: [exim] Laying out a spamtrap

Top Pagina
Auteur: Matthew Newton
Aan: Darton Williams
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Laying out a spamtrap
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:32:11AM -0400, Darton Williams wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Phil (Medway Hosting) <phil@???> wrote:
> > > Newsgroups seems to be a very slow option.

Newsgroups work, but do take a while. I get quite a lot to some
fake addresses posted a couple of years ago.

> The best way I've found is to fill out as many "free offer" and other
> advertising gimmick forms as you can find on the web. The sketchier
> the company, the better. Google something like multi-level marketing
> and you're sure to find some.

As already pointed out this is a bad idea as you are signing up.
What I successfully do is to go to "unsubscribe" web links in spam
and enter a spam trap address. I use a combination of the domain
name and the date for the local part. These can produce results
within a couple of months, and you can identify which
"unsubscribe" web site was used.

Try this one for example (unmunge it):
http://kazmway-MUNGED.com/w.php

(with w.php it is safe - without is most definitely NOT!)

or this:
http://apslwoyu-MUNGED.com/remove/

(replica watches - safe!)

Don't go to links with identifying codes unless the e-mail was
sent to your spamtrap... you don't want more junk to your real
address.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton <mcn4@???>

Network Support and UNIX Systems Administrator, Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <cchelp@???>