[exim] Laying out a spamtrap

Author: Darton Williams
To: Exim Users
Subject: [exim] Laying out a spamtrap
On 9/6/07, Mike Cardwell <exim-users@???> wrote:
> Darton Williams wrote:
>
> >> It's not spam if you sign up for it.
> > It is if you sign up with a company that already spams. That's why the
> > sketchier the company, the better. The best are those companies that
> > aggregate advertising; all they really do is sell your address to
> > spammers.
>
> If you agree to let them e-mail you, then it's not spam.
>
> >> If you do that, make sure you are absolutely certain that the terms and
> >> conditions that you sign up to, prevent them from emailing you for *any*
> >> reason, and prevent them from selling on your details to others.
> > That's the point, if it's a spam trap, you want them to sell it to
> > others. That's how you get on the spammers' lists. Of course you
> > wouldn't give them any *real* details.
>
> But ... That would just mean that those you gave permission to email
> you, emailed you. Surely the ones you're trying to catch are the ones
> that emailed you when you *didn't* give them permission?
>
> What you're describing is: soliciting e-mail, and then claiming the
> e-mail is unsolicited... I'm going by the Spamhaus definition of spam
> here: http://www.spamhaus.org/definition.html
>
> Mike

I concede on the definition. In practical terms you can still get a
lot of spammy content from (semi-)solicited sources, you just have to
watch for false positives as always. To me, the source is not that
important, if they get past the standard RBL, reverse DNS and other
checks, they still have to get past SA.

--
Regards,

Darton