Re: [exim] Laying out a spamtrap

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Jeroen van Aart, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Laying out a spamtrap

--On 6 September 2007 14:06:08 -0700 Jeroen van Aart <kroshka@???>
wrote:

> Mike Cardwell wrote:
>
>> What you're describing is: soliciting e-mail, and then claiming the
>> e-mail is unsolicited... I'm going by the Spamhaus definition of spam
>> here: http://www.spamhaus.org/definition.html
>
> I agree to that definition, but I am just wondering what is the
> threshold of bulk, when does something cease to be a bunch of emails and
> becomes bulk. Referring to: The word "Spam" as applied to Email means
> Unsolicited Bulk Email ("UBE").

The UK officially doesn't agree. It bans unsolicited email for direct
marketing purposes, when sent to private addresses. Quantity is irrelevant.

See section 22 of <http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm> The
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003

Guidance on the act makes clear that "direct marketing" included promoting
the aims of any organisation, whether commercial, charitable, or otherwise.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex