Re: [pcre-dev] Newline sequences

Autor: Sheri
A: pcre-dev
Assumpte: Re: [pcre-dev] Newline sequences
Philip Hazel wrote:
> This concerns Sheri's request for something to match ASCII newlines only
> (CR, LF, or CRLF). I've had some feedback from the Perl folks, and they
> don't like it. In fact, they aren't all that happy about \R, though I
> hope they won't withdraw that (it is recommended by the Unicode folks).
> Apart from anything else, there are few \ combinations left.
>
> What I propose to do, Sheri, is to add an option that changes what \R
> means. I think that's the safest way forward. It can be a bit option,
> and also one that can be set inside the regex, like I've made the
> newline options. I think that's the best I can do.
>
> Philip

Thanks Philip,

I think that would work fine, especially if (like newline) the default
could be set when the library is compiled. I think the only time Windows
users might want to use the entire unicode definition would be when they
are also setting UTF-8 mode (ditto for "ANY" as newline). Some apps
aren't even built with UTF-8 support (e.g., my editor) and in those, if
the ascii-style \R were compiled as default, users would probably never
need to change it.

Regards,
Sheri