Re: [exim] SpamAssassin + add_header

Author: Ted Cooper
To: 'Exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] SpamAssassin + add_header
Ted Cooper wrote:
> I've been adding extra headers to incoming emails detailing everything
> from source port range to the passive OS fingerprint in hopes that the
> bayes database or my rules will pick them up and assign additional (or
> reduced!) spam scores for them.
>
> I haven't had the chance to truly experiment and see if it is helping or
> not, but something just occurred to me (at 3am as I was going to bed).
>
> Do the headers I add with "add_header" actually get placed into the
> message which is passed to SpamAssassin and thus are available to learn
> and score, or are they only added during delivery in the transport?
>
> If not, how on earth would I pass such information to SA so it can be of
> use? I am currently calling SA in the acl_smtp_data ACL.
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTaddheadacl
> From what I read in the above section, I can only guess that if I add
> headers in the MAIL, RCPT and pre-DATA ACL, they _may_ be available in
> the message sent to SA. Has anyone played with this at all?

Ok, so I had a few minutes spare to check this out .. adding a header
during the RCPT stage doesn't seem to make it turn up in the DATA stage.

Does anyone have an idea or way I can pass additional headers to SA
without putting it through a pipe transport?

Ted
--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html