Re: [exim] Exim 4.68 defeats spammers!

Author: Mark Rigby-Jones
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.68 defeats spammers!
On 31 Aug 2007, at 15:59, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Interesting. I'm wondering if that is happening to me. The number
> of open connection to my main serve has increased by almost 10
> times normal. I have the capacity to handle it and the load levels
> haven't increased. So maybe the same thing is happening to me as
> happening to you?

It's possible. Certainly one big difference with this attack is that
CPU load wasn't hugely affected. I've got the connection limit set at
a point where normally the servers are under pretty heavy load by the
time it's reached and have probably dropped back to queue_only. This
time, as most of the connections were simply hanging until they timed
out, the load only went up slightly - meaning it did take rather
longer to set off the alarm bells.

mrj
--
Mark Rigby-Jones, System Operations Manager
CI-Net, Network House, Langford Locks, Kidlington, OX5 1GA