Re: [exim] more than one recipient in envelope-to, but only…

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] more than one recipient in envelope-to, but only one delivered to maildir?
Pickel, Gerd - Betax-Systems GmbH (IT) wrote:
> All messages are delivered local to a catch-all maildir of one user.
> Now I checked the logs and I disvovered that these mails (like the
> above one) are only delivered once to the user I specified on this
> machine.

Sounds reasonable, as exim would see, that both addresses are redirected
to the same mailbox.

> It seems to me that some MTAs put all the recipients in the
> 'Envelop-to' field and leave only one recipient in the 'To:' field.

MTAs usually don't care much about the values of the To header field.
The Envelope-to header has most likely been added by your exim during
mail delivery, and also has nothing to do with mail routing in the first
place.

> Now the question is: how do I get the mails delivered to all
> recipients in the 'Envelop-to' field?

Well, the mail IS delivered to all recipients, isn't it? There's just
one (possibly) redundant copy missing. Exim removes duplicate addresses
from the list to which it is delivering, so as to deliver just one copy
to each address. I'm not sure whether it is possible to avoid that.

> Or better is it possible for exim to make a 'copy' of these messages
> based on the 'Envelop-to' field and so generate multiple messages
> with different 'To:' fields?

Hmm, exim (and any other reasonable MTA) generally DOES deliver every
mail to every envelope recipient, if it's able to. It does not by
default generate To header fields, allthough you can tell it to do, but
I don't think that relates to your problem.

lg,
daniel