Re: [exim] ratelimit-ACL across multiple hosts

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ratelimit-ACL across multiple hosts
Marc Perkel wrote:
> I'd love to have it too - but I had assumed that it wasn't possible.
> In my case in particular because I have hosts in multiple locations
> and if the central host fails the other hosts would need to switch to
> independent rate limiting. But I'd love it if it magicall worked.

Well, at my last job I was using a perl daemon and a perl function in
exim that sent the IP address via UDP to the server. The daemon then
modified an exim config file that contained the blocked hosts and some
status information. (add-time, count, removal-time, etc. so the perl
daemon could re-read it during startup/restart)
During downtime of the daemon ratelimit of course won't work, but I
personally think that's not worth enough to care about. I have been
running the setup for several years without any problems. (You see, if
the network is down, there won't be lots of mails flowing anyway, and
the perl daemon resided on a heart-beat cluster.)
Has been good enough for a cluster of ~20 exim/pop/imap boxes with about
8M mails a day or so.

lg,
daniel