Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 7.3 release candidate for testing

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Richard G.
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 7.3 release candidate for testing
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> I think it's reasonable to have the semantic that whatever the current
> configuration is, that's what gets put into config.h.generic.

I'm afraid I disagree. When I'm testing, I use all sorts of weird
configurations. In fact, it actually did that for a while, and then I
discovered I'd made a release with some very odd defaults.

> Keep in mind that this already applies to parameters relating to
> system features (e.g. HAVE_MEMMOVE). Unless config.h.generic is
> maintained by hand, you can't really divorce it from the environment
> surrounding the invocation of "make dist".

Perhaps not, but I can define it as "a copy of the config.h that you get
after ./configure is run with no parameters" and I think that's tidy.

> Philip, why not recast the PrepareRelease script as a higher-level wrapper
> to "make dist"? That way, it can configure the tree in the correct
> (default) manner, and delegate the generation of config.h.generic et al. to
> the makefile rules. This approach would embody a proper division of
> responsibilities, IMO.

Yes, I'm OK with that, I guess. But something for post-7.3.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.