Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 7.3 release candidate for testing

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Richard G.
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE 7.3 release candidate for testing
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> Right now, if you pull down a fresh SVN tree, autogen, configure, and then
> run "make dist", you get
>
>    $ make dist
>    rm -f pcre.h.generic
>    cp -p pcre.h pcre.h.generic
>    make: *** No rule to make target `config.h.generic', needed by `distdir'. Stop.

> config.h.generic is currently created by the PrepareRelease script (as a
> lightly processed copy of config.h), but it should really be handled by a
> makefile rule. The dist/distcheck targets should be usable without needing
> to invoke a separate script.

I take your point, but I think this is something for thinking about
after the 7.3 release for three reasons: (a) I'm only fixing bugs now, and
don't want to disturb things, (b) as you yourself say, this isn't a
complete solution, and (c) I don't think your patch is right anyway. As
far as I can see, your patch just runs the Perl step of making
config.h.generic from config.h, but that's not good enough. You have to
run ./configure first, with no parameters, to ensure that you have a
config.h made with the default settings. This is currently part of the
PrepareRelease script. (If you don't, you run the risk of picking up a
config.h that was previously made with non-default parameters.)

Ideally, I suppose, "make dist" should run PrepareRelease before doing
anything else - and we could then move the detrailing into the Makefile
if we wanted.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.