Re: [exim-dev] [WL 413 & 343] An exim ACL called when the SM…

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] [WL 413 & 343] An exim ACL called when the SMTP connection ends without QUIT
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Ted Cooper wrote:
>
>> This patch is not final, it needs some pointers/input.
>
> FYI: I have finally got to this and am in the process of implementing
> it, with a few tidies, but mostly as is.
>
>> I should revisit smtp_handle_acl_fail in smtp_in.c and see if I can
>> more closely tie in the exit acl instead of its present implementation
>> where the user_msg and log_msg are not used.
>
> I don't think that is necessary. Control gets there only when another
> ACL has obeyed "drop" - and *its* user_msg and log_msg have been used.
> It is, I think, easiest just to document this.
>
>> I want to blacklist the "delay" term from being used in the acl as it's
>> completely useless and may screw things over as this acl is called
>> during a number of signal handlers.
>
> That should be possible.
>
>> I also added the QUIT ACL being called in one extra place where I
>> thought it should be, just for completeness.
>
> Good point.
>
> Philip

I found another place where the QUIT ACL may possibly want to be called
but I had reservations about it when I spotted it. Unfortunately we've
been preparing for a trade show ever since I did that patch so I haven't
been able to change it and test it. So far, the rest of the patch has
been running on my mail.linuxwan.net server without fail.

The function void smtp_closedown(uschar *message) (smtp_in.c - line 720
in mine) is another function that sits in a loop waiting for
disconnection or QUIT. It probably needs to call both the QUIT ACL and
not-QUIT ACL when EOF_CMD and QUIT_CMD occur. As soon as that function
returns, the thread is seems to be terminated hence the reason for
calling both. I can throw it together but if you've already cleaned up
my code then whatever I add will probably just snuff it all up again.

--
The Exim Manual
http://www.exim.org/docs.html