Re: [exim] Allowing sender verify when sender over quota

Autor: Jethro R Binks
A: Exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Allowing sender verify when sender over quota
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, John Horne wrote:

> Running Exim 4.62, we use sender verification.

Using callouts? An admission which is rant-bait for some!

> However, it seems that if the original sender has exceeded their mailbox
> quota, then when Exim performs the sender verification it receives back
> a 552 code. Subsequently the message is rejected.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to allow sender verification to
> 'suceeed' rather than fail, even if the sender is over quota. To me it
> seems that the server has accepted the recipient, and, barring the quota
> limit, would have accepted the message.
>
> I have checked through the docs, and done some testing with the
> $acl_verify_message and $sender_verify_failure variables, but these do
> not seem to provide any detailed information about the verification
> failure. If they included the actual server response (something like
> '552 Quota exceeded') then we could of course look for that and act
> accordingly.

If a server returns any 5xx return code, it is saying "this is a permanent
failure, I do not want you to try and deliver a message here to that
address". Any more is purely informational.

Since the point of sender verification (whether by absolute address using
a callout, or testing deliverability to sender domain via MX checks) is to
ensure you only accept messages to which a reply could be sent (to best
effort), then what is the point of trying to work around this particular
issue (probably on a case-by-case basis) by trying to parse the error more
deeply than 5xx? Sender is over quota, therefore cannot receive reply
messages, so why waste time accepting messages from them?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK