Re: [pcre-dev] More Windows-related/misc. tweaks

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Richard G.
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] More Windows-related/misc. tweaks
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Daniel Richard G. wrote:

> I'm afraid a few critical bits were lost in translation.

Apologies for my incompetence, and thanks for fixing things up without
grumbling at me. I've applied your new patches and this time everything
"works for me". I have committed the patches, and I have also made a
test release in:

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/Testing/pcre-7.3-RC2.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/Testing/pcre-7.3-RC2.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/Testing/pcre-7.3-RC2.zip

(Make sure you get the -RC2 and not -RC1 version - the latter was for an
OP to test a bug fix.)

If people can test this on Windows, in as many environments as possible,
it would be good.

> ==> pcrecpp_internal.h
>
> * The _DECL macro needs "extern", for when it is used to declare external
> variables.
>
> * Added a helpful comment to the final #endif.

I've tidied up the comments I added at the top and removed the
PCRECPP_EXP_DATA_DEFN that I'd created (analagous to PCRE_EXP_DATA_DEFN)
since it is not required.

> ==> pcre_maketables.c
>
> * Preprocessor directives must always have the "#" in column 1.

No. Not since C was standardized in 1990. I made a fuss about this for
the source of Exim, but I was persuaded to leave them in column 1 for
PCRE (back in 1998 or thereabouts) because it is compiled on many
different compilers, some of which were still in the dark, pre-standard
ages back then. A decade later, I wouldn't be surprised if some still
are...

> ==> CMakeLists.txt
>
> * Minor tweak, just restoring some tabs that got stripped.

<rant>
I hate tabs, I hate tabs, I hate tabs! :-) They always cause confusion,
and personally, I never ever use them in files except for stupid
programs such as "make" that insist on them. (And why? It could
compatibly be extended to treat leading white space the same.)
</rant>

But I know nothing about CMake. Perhaps it needs them too. So I have
restored them as per your patch.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.