Re: [exim] "Vista Mail" and errors after DATA

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "Vista Mail" and errors after DATA
On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 05:13:35PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> Chris Edwards wrote, Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:40 AM
> > Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> >
> > | The Outlook clients fail to deliver the mail and leave it in the user's
> > | outbox, displaying the final line of the multi-line error in the
> > | progress dialog; the Vista Microsoft Mail client simply moves it to Sent
> > | Items with no hint of an error.
> >
> > And we were soo hoping MS was getting better at handling SMTP errors, not
> > worse. Like duh!
> [...]
> > Anychance vista is not liking the long error message ?
>
> A gold star for Chris and many thanks!
>
> Yes, it would appear that the Vista client is differently broken with
> respect to multi-line messages. Outlook only displays the last line, Vista's
> Microsoft Mail client just ignores them. A "control =
> no_multiline_responses" applied to local hosts early in the ACLs and all is
> well.

Hmm. With Exim 4.67 I get the following error when trying that out:

  temporarily rejected connection in "connect" ACL:
     syntax error in "control=no_multiline_response"

I checked the documentation and it specifically says "no_multiline_response"
(not plural), but the source seems to indicate that it should be used
as plural "no_multiline_responses".

Also, in acl.c, in the controls[] definition, I also see reference to just
"no_multiline" as a variable name that's not referenced anywhere else,
but not sure if that means anything.

Is this a bug in documentation, in implementation, or am I confused?

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???