Re: [exim] Spam volume spike

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Eli, 'exim users'
Subject: Re: [exim] Spam volume spike

--On 18 July 2007 10:24:35 -0400 Eli <list@???> wrote:

>>     <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/its/email/stats/>

> I can't say whether I've noticed a trend or not since I don't have as much

..... However, the significant increase in host spoofing might indicate
someone
> trying to dig up account info on your host - or it could just be innocent
> "smart spam" trying to spoof your own host to get through.
>
> Hopefully this is useful jibberish to you, instead of a waste of my time
> :)

Thanks, it is useful! I was asking around because if the answer was "no,
it's not a general thing", then I'd have a look through my logs to try to
find out more.

You've picked out the fact that there's been an increase in attempts to
spoof our addresses as sender, which explains why I've had a few reports of
massive spam blowback. Actually, we reject messages that spoof our
addresses, which is what those numbers report. The "general sussex
spoofing" is return-path spoofing. It looks like a disproportionate rise,
but isn't a lot compared with the RBL rejects.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex