Re: [exim] log_message and drop?

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] log_message and drop?

Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>> Does log_message not work with drop?
>>
>> This produces a log message
>>
>> defer    log_message = REJECTED - Spammer Connected to FAKE highest MX
>> record VIRUS Brown - I=$interface_address
>>     dnslists = hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.4

>> This does not.
>>
>> drop    log_message = REJECTED - Spammer Connected to FAKE highest MX
>> record VIRUS Brown - I=$interface_address
>>     dnslists = hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.4

> More detail needed. One of Exim's standard tests contains this ACL:
>
>   drop   log_message = forcibly dropped
>          hosts = 10.9.8.9
>   accept logwrite = $sender_host_address accepted by connect ACL

> and in the log I see
>
> 1999-03-02 09:44:33 H=[10.9.8.9] U=CALLER rejected connection in "connect" ACL: forcibly dropped
>
> So what is different in your setup? Can you post debug output showing
> the lack of a message?

Sorry - I was up late last night. I'm using it in and acl subroutine.

So the outer acl is:

accept acl = acl_sub

acl_sub:

# This works:

defer log_message = REJECTED - Spammer Connected to FAKE highest MX
record VIRUS Brown - I=$interface_address
dnslists = hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.4
set acl_m7 = ${run{/etc/exim/sql/ip-report virus $sender_host_address}}

# This does not.

drop log_message = REJECTED - Spammer Connected to FAKE highest MX
record VIRUS Brown - I=$interface_address
dnslists = hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.4
      set acl_m7 = ${run{/etc/exim/sql/ip-report virus
$sender_host_address}}

When I use defer I get the log message but on drop I don't even though
the ip-report script does run. And - since I wrote that message late
last night if I change the log_message to logwrite then it does work. So
it appears as if log_message doesn't run under some conditions?