Re: [exim] Greylisting - using Exim new features - ratelimit…

Autor: Marc Perkel
A: Richard Clayton
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Greylisting - using Exim new features - ratelimit with noupdate

Richard Clayton wrote:

> In message <46939896.20007@???>, Marc Perkel <marc@???>
> writes
>

>> What I also want to do is have several fake higher IPs that always
>> return defer but count as penalty events wiping out the good karma data
>> and making the IP start over.
>>

> So whenever there is a route flap you penalise everyone... ah well, it's
> your email, your decisions :(

Yes - for 5 minutes.

>> Good email will always try twice.
>>

> Except when it doesn't, but not worth labouring that again.

Except is actually does.

>> Spambots don't.
>>

> I now regularly see spambots showing up in logs with two connection
> attempts a little while apart -- I expect they figure that the worst
> that can happen is that two emails get delivered :) and it means that
> they don't need to save "state"

With this system the connections have to be in the right order. Lowest
numberd MX must be touched first.

>> So it passes 100% of
>> your good email and kills 90% of your spam.
>>

> Do you actually have data for this "100%" (or for that matter for the
> 90%) or are you just guessing that this is what it would be? I ask as
> someone who actually publishes data about email

I don't publish my data. However if I were losing email then people
would be screaming. The 90% is an estimate for what most people van
expect. My servers it's more like 99% but I'm a spam filtering company
and my customers tend to have more than an average amount of spam.

> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.         Benjamin Franklin

Something we agree on. :)