Re: [exim] timing out messages in the queue

Autor: David S. Madole
A: 'ron@parktree.net', 'Exim-users@exim.org'
Assumpte: Re: [exim] timing out messages in the queue
> From Ron Gorodetzky on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:58 PM
>
> I have two servers that use a third as a smarthost for
> outbound emails.
> On the smarthost I'm seeing those outbound messages getting
> stuck in the queue in a 'waiting for a remote delivery
> subprocess to finish' state, seemingly forever. This holds
> up other messages from being sent out and adds unwanted
> process load to the server. Is there a way to get these to
> timeout more quickly so that the queue can make some progress?
>
> I tried adding command_timeout = 20s in the remote_smtp:
> section, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. It wasn't
> clear to me from the documentation what other options I have
> to resolve this problem.

Also take a look at connect_timeout, data_timeout, and final_timeout.

It might help to run a delivery of one of the problem messages from the command line with debugging output to see what is happening, use exim -d -M <message-id>

I don't know what you mean by seemingly forever; the longest of these timeouts is 10 minutes by default. If you are seeing longer than that, then something else is wrong. Perhaps you are delivering to a "tar pit".

David