[exim] timing out messages in the queue

Autor: Ron Gorodetzky
A: Exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] timing out messages in the queue
Hello,

I have two servers that use a third as a smarthost for outbound emails.
On the smarthost I'm seeing those outbound messages getting stuck in the
queue in a 'waiting for a remote delivery subprocess to finish' state,
seemingly forever. This holds up other messages from being sent out and
adds unwanted process load to the server. Is there a way to get these
to timeout more quickly so that the queue can make some progress?

I tried adding command_timeout = 20s in the remote_smtp: section, but it
doesn't seem to have an effect. It wasn't clear to me from the
documentation what other options I have to resolve this problem.

Thanks,
-Ron

--
Ron Gorodetzky <ron@???>