Re: [exim] Exim Mail Import

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Mail Import
On 27/06/07, Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> wrote:
> cfaust-dougot <cfaust@???> (Mi 27 Jun 2007 12:29:36 CEST):
> > Hello All,
> >
> > We are moving to a new ISP and switch mail servers from Exchange to Exim. There is nothing special on the exchange server (no calendar or lists or anything like that).
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how I can get the messages moved over? I've been searching the web and list and I'm not seeing anything obvious, am I missing something?
> >

> It's more a question how to move stored messages from Exchange to some
> other mailstore. This depends on the accessability for the Exchange (I
> suppose it's POP3 or IMAP) and on your new mail storage. The new depends
> less on exim but more on your new POP3 or IMAP server.
>
> Or you might pipe the retrieved messages via SMTP to your Exim, having
> the Exim responsible for talking to your mail store backend.
>
> The latter can be accomplished by fetchmail. (POP3/IMAP -> SMTP)

Really not a good idea - you'll have no envelope information in the
stored Exchange messages, and re-delivering them via SMTP will be very
hit-and-miss.

Better to use an IMAP copy utility - can't think of the name offhand
but I bet Google knows. That assumes you are using an IMAP message
store on the new system, of course.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer