Re: [exim] exim confused by unexpected multiline response

Página Inicial
Autor: David S. Madole
Para: 'Heiko Schlittermann', 'exim-users'
Assunto: Re: [exim] exim confused by unexpected multiline response
> From Heiko Schlittermann on Monday, June 25, 2007 12:32 PM
>
> unsing exims debug mode (via exiacl)

>     >>>   SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<>
>     >>>   SMTP<< 250 ok
>     >>>   SMTP>> RCPT
> TO:<ssl.schlittermann.de-1182787991-testing@???>
>     >>>   SMTP<<
>     >>>   SMTP>> RSET
>     >>>   SMTP<<  @Hilfe-> admin@???(#5.1.1)
>     >>>   SMTP>> QUIT

> Following this dialog our side (exim 4.63) stops any further
> action and doesn't check the real sender in question.
>
> Two items I see:
>
>     - there's is a German Umlaut in the 550 line.
>     - The 550 line looks like 2 lines

> I'm interested in suggestions / proposals. Imagine that we
> can't fix the remote server (because they are qmail people
> and convinced of doing everything the right way ...)
>
> (Switching off the 'random' during sender verify is the only
> solution I see w/o hacking exim.)

The umlaut does not seem to be significant in the problem, but the line break is. Continuation lines in SMTP need to be prefixed with a continuation response code, in this case "550-". My best guess is that someone thinks that the correct continuation method is a line prefixed with whitespace as though it were a message header.

The remote server really is broken. I'm not sure what could be done to fix it except as you note, to hack Exim, perhaps making it take lines starting with whitespace as continuations of the previous line. If this was a really widespread implementation issue, I could maybe possibly see adding a (non-default) option for that, but you can't accomodate every broken server out there.

Have you tried contacting them about this? This is certainly a local configuration issue, not a Qmail problem.

David