Re: [exim-dev] Bug: No warning or default for missing retry …

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Bug: No warning or default for missing retry section
> > > If you remove the section, it is assumed you want no retries.
> >
> > This is bad. I think - default retry 1h is should used.
>
> Why? And how would you configure for no retries?

RFC 2821 could be worded better, but in section 4.5.4.1 "Sending
Strategy":

The sender MUST delay retrying a particular destination after one
attempt has failed. In general, the retry interval SHOULD be at
least 30 minutes; however, more sophisticated and variable strategies
will be beneficial when the SMTP client can determine the reason for
non-delivery.

Retries continue until the message is transmitted or the sender gives
up; the give-up time generally needs to be at least 4-5 days. The
parameters to the retry algorithm MUST be configurable.

Exim IS configurable, and if you remove all retry rules, you configured it
not to retry delivery attempts. That does not lose mail, it bounces it.
The log tells what happened, and if people don't check their logs, they
wouldn't see a warning concerning a missing or empty retry section either.

I understand people might expect a default retry rule. If they expect
a default router, director and transport, too, I guess Smail is for them. ;)

Michael