Re: [exim] Can Exim filter 'quoted-printable'section ofemail…

Author: David Woodhouse
To: anthony.honeyfield
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Can Exim filter 'quoted-printable'section ofemails?-Revised
On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 14:09 +1000, Anthony Honeyfield wrote:
> Sure. We want a record of 'emails sent per job'. We should be able to look
> up a job number, and see summary info for all the emails sent for that job
> over the past month.
>
> We achieve that by asking staff to put a job number code at the top of their
> email, then using an exim filter to trap the relevant info and put it into a
> database.
>
> > What's wrong with putting it in a header?
>
> Staff need to enter the job number when they create the email, and the only
> fields available in Outlook are To: CC: BCC: Subject: and, of course, the
> message body. The body seemed like the only real place to put it.

If you put it in the subject, it gets preserved automatically and they
don't need to keep putting it into their replies manually. Although it's
more gratuitous noise in the subject line which doesn't necessarily live
there.

If you can put it into References: then it should also be preserved in
replies, and invisibly. It's harder to have the outlook users insert
that automatically, but maybe they could do it by clicking on a
mailto:?References=... link?

I might be inclined to use a combination of the two. Put a job number
into the Subject header and configure Exim to _strip_ it from the mail
it actually sends out, but remember the message-id of the outgoing
message, and the associated job ID.

For messages _without_ a job ID in the subject header, Exim can look at
the References:. If any of the message-ids listed in the references are
associated with a known job id already, then that's the job the mail
belongs to. Else, bounce it with 'unknown job ID'.

And then I'd ban outgoing HTML anyway :)

--
dwmw2