Re: [pcre-dev] is this a BUG in PCRE 7.0 ?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nuno Lopes
CC: Rain Chen, pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] is this a BUG in PCRE 7.0 ?
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Nuno Lopes wrote:

> What I've also noted is that now SUPPORT_UCP and SUPPORT_UTF8 are off by
> default (at least in the config.h.generic file). This was changed from RC1
> to RC2. Any special reason or was it just overlooked (I really think
> everything should be on by default)?

They have never been on by default in any PCRE release. If they were on
in RC1, that was a mistake. The generic file is for the benefit of those
who can't use "./configure; make". I suppose I should try to ensure that
it is consistent, but as I'm only a Linux/Unix person (never used
Windows), support for those systems is always a bit dodgy. :-)

One of my "future things" reads "Consider making UTF-8 and UCP the
default for some future release". The reason for not "just doing" this
is that it will break PCRE for those people who do not want these
features - and I can assure you that there are such people. They would
have to start explicitly turning them off.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.