Re: [exim] how 2 split exim load across two servers, and st…

Author: Renaud Allard
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] how 2 split exim load across two servers, and still notify the sending server of rejects?

snowcrash+exim-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgrade my local estalishment to use TWO instances of Exim.
>
> (1) on a small router/firewall @ my LAN/WAN network edge, serving as
> an SMTP Gateway
> (2) on a fileserver on my LAN
>
> The "edge" Exim is set to to do most/all of the 'light' processing.
> Namely, everything BUT virus & spam content scanning. To that end,
> the policy controls include:

> Upon connection from the net, DENYs/DROPs invoked by the "edge" Exim
> instance are returned to /seen by the connecting server in the SMTP
> chat.
>
> Works great.
>
> Messages that pass SMTP Gateway's filtering, are then submitted to the
> LAN-based fileserver for additional processing.
>
> IIUC, any DENYs resulting from content scanning on the LAN-box will
> *ONLY* be seen/received by the Gateway box -- and *NOT* the external
> sending server.
>
> Is that correct?

You are right, and you will also more than probably generate bounces due
to this.

> If so, *IS* there a way to configure this two-box setup so that the
> external, sending server will GET the rejectnotices in/during the smtp
> transaction?

I assume you are doing this because your "edge" exim does not run on a
computer powerful enough to run spamassassin/clamav.
If this is the case, you can make spamassassin and clamav listen on a
network socket on your file server. Then configure your "edge" exim to
use spamassassin/clamav running on the file server.