[exim] how 2 split exim load across two servers, and still n…

Author: snowcrash+exim-users
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] how 2 split exim load across two servers, and still notify the sending server of rejects?
Hi,

I've upgrade my local estalishment to use TWO instances of Exim.

(1) on a small router/firewall @ my LAN/WAN network edge, serving as
an SMTP Gateway
(2) on a fileserver on my LAN

The "edge" Exim is set to to do most/all of the 'light' processing.
Namely, everything BUT virus & spam content scanning. To that end,
the policy controls include:

  acl_smtp_connect             = acl_connect
  acl_smtp_helo                = acl_helo
  acl_smtp_mail                = acl_mail_from
  acl_smtp_mime                = acl_mime
  acl_smtp_rcpt                = acl_rcpt_to
  acl_smtp_data                = accept
  acl_smtp_vrfy                = accept
  begin acl

Upon connection from the net, DENYs/DROPs invoked by the "edge" Exim
instance are returned to /seen by the connecting server in the SMTP
chat.

Works great.

Messages that pass SMTP Gateway's filtering, are then submitted to the
LAN-based fileserver for additional processing.

IIUC, any DENYs resulting from content scanning on the LAN-box will
*ONLY* be seen/received by the Gateway box -- and *NOT* the external
sending server.

Is that correct?

If so, *IS* there a way to configure this two-box setup so that the
external, sending server will GET the rejectnotices in/during the smtp
transaction?

Thanks.