Re: [exim] Fw: Reject Specific users...

Author: Dan_Mitton
To: Magnus Holmgren
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Fw: Reject Specific users...
>> Ok, the big story...
>
>It's always a good idea to tell the whole story right away. You might

have got
>onto the wrong track, in which case the directions you can get never

takes
>you to your goal as quickly as if you had asked when you were at the

first
>intersection.

True, I just didn't want it to sound too complicated from the start.

>> My Exim server is only (currently) acting as an "edge" passthru SMTP
>> gateway into our Lotus Notes mail systems. Currently, all messages are
>> passed thru to Notes which, for invalid address, generates a bounce
>> message and hands it back to Exim to try and deliver. Our thought was

>> remove the exim -> notes -> exim processing for invalid addresses and

>> let exim handle the bounces directly. Yes, (and I not like it either)

>> lot of these messages are spam and the bounces are collateral spam, but

>> am not able to limit who I accept a message from (due to government
>> regulations). We are not making it any worse then it currently already
>> is, just removing the exim -> notes -> exim steps.
>
>Capital idea. Forget the verify_router and the bad_recipients router.

Since
>you now have a file containing valid users, you can add a precondition to

the
>router that routes your local mail to the Notes server. It should be a
>manualroute router, shouldn't it? This should work:
>
> local_parts = nwildlsearch;/usr/local/exim/valid.users
>
>Note that you can't negate router preconditions the way you can negate

ACL
>conditions. You also don't have to use string expansions with single-key
>lookups in situations like this one.

Yes, that would work to route the valid addresses in my manualroute
router, but it looks like if I don't :fail: the invalid ones somewhere,
the default dnslookup router gets them and they find their way to Notes
that way.