Re: [exim] Fw: Reject Specific users...

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Fw: Reject Specific users...
On Friday 01 June 2007 18:37, Dan_Mitton@??? wrote:
> Ok, the big story...

It's always a good idea to tell the whole story right away. You might have got
onto the wrong track, in which case the directions you can get never takes
you to your goal as quickly as if you had asked when you were at the first
intersection.

> My Exim server is only (currently) acting as an "edge" passthru SMTP
> gateway into our Lotus Notes mail systems. Currently, all messages are
> passed thru to Notes which, for invalid address, generates a bounce
> message and hands it back to Exim to try and deliver. Our thought was to
> remove the exim -> notes -> exim processing for invalid addresses and to
> let exim handle the bounces directly. Yes, (and I not like it either) a
> lot of these messages are spam and the bounces are collateral spam, but I
> am not able to limit who I accept a message from (due to government
> regulations). We are not making it any worse then it currently already
> is, just removing the exim -> notes -> exim steps.

Capital idea. Forget the verify_router and the bad_recipients router. Since
you now have a file containing valid users, you can add a precondition to the
router that routes your local mail to the Notes server. It should be a
manualroute router, shouldn't it? This should work:

local_parts = nwildlsearch;/usr/local/exim/valid.users

Note that you can't negate router preconditions the way you can negate ACL
conditions. You also don't have to use string expansions with single-key
lookups in situations like this one.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)