Re: [exim] Accuracy of the DontObfuscate wiki page (wasRe:Ma…

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Accuracy of the DontObfuscate wiki page (wasRe:Manualroute)
On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 14:38 +0100, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> Also, there's a middle way. Replace the quantifiers with vague quantifiers
> such as "some", instead of trying to measure the amount.

Peter and I, wearing our assistant-sub-co-list-moderator hats, are just
discussing this very issue.

In view of the fact that this very conversation has happened on a number
of occasions both on the list and off it without a "happy medium" being
the outcome, we are likely to provide a suitably middle-of-the-road
paragraph for the Wiki ourselves. We are, after all, often the people
who end up arbitrating these issues when feelings get hurt!

To answer Marc's meta-question:
> "do 'many' members of the exim list refuse to answer questions with
> obfuscated details?"

Given a list membership of 1959, we can with reasonable accuracy say
that the answer is "no"; If it was above 1% on a regular basis I would
be very surprised.

"Some", "several" or "a few" would be rather more accurate.

Graeme