Re: [exim] *Suspect* Re: DNS list lookup defer (probably ti…

Author: exim users
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] DNS list lookup defer (probably timeout)
Subject: Re: [exim] *Suspect* Re: DNS list lookup defer (probably timeout)
On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 22:39 +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> > I'm explaining that you can not reject bounces
> > to multiple recipients *in general*.
>
> I don't see why not.
>
> MLM's having been covered,

yes, that was my example.

> how often does your server transmit the same message
> with an envelope-from or sender that lists *multiple* local addresses as the source?

source routing is a SHOULD NOT in RFC 2821, so this is not generally
possible.

> So where would a *legitimate* bounce *get* the 'extra' senders to turn into
> multiple recipients on the bounce going back to you?

let me try with an example going into more detail:

edgar@??? sends e-mail to discuss@???. this is a list
run the old-skool way, in aliases it looks like:

        discuss: :include:/etc/lists/discuss
        discuss-request: alice@???, bob@???
        owner-discuss: discuss-request

when two.example receives the message, it rewrites the envelope header
to be owner-discuss@???. one of the members of the list is
charlie@???. unfortunately, e-mail to charlie bounces, so
two.example will send a bounce to the sender, which is now
owner-discuss. this expands to alice and bob, and is delivered as a
single bounce to those two recipients from two.example to three.example.

--
Kjetil T.