Re: [exim] exim4 + imap sent items

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: Ireneusz Czajka
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 + imap sent items
Quoting Ireneusz Czajka:

> I have a little problem :|
> I have exim4 (4.63 from debian etch) and courier imap, and I have to
> save messages sent by users into sent-items folder.
> I use Maildir

I configured my MUA (Thunderbird) to bcc every message to a special
address (e.g. jh+sent-messages@mydomain) and set up my user filter to
move messages to this address in my sent folder. The good thing about
that is that my MUA does not have to send every message twice (like the
standard "save in Sent folder" setups, but that matters only when the
client's upstream bandwidth is not big enough, like with ADSL) and I can
easily remove that when sending big attachments (so my Sent folder does
not get cluttered up).
But that is probably not suitable for all setups.

> I understand that, filters can help me, but I don't know exactly how.

There are many ways to do it, it depends on your setup. You have to find
out the (sending) user's mailstore (that could get horrible if your
setup is not simple) or tag the (then duplicated) mail so you know how
to handle it when it is delivered.

The simplest way could be something like

if first_delivery then
  if $authenticated_id is not ""
    unseen save /home/$authenticated_id/Maildir/.Sent/
  endif
endif

You have to set system_filter_directory_transport or
system_filter_file_transport for that to work.