Re: [exim] TLS: Base64 decoding error

Author: Rory Campbell-Lange
To: exim-users
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS: Base64 decoding error
Hi Patrick

On 14/05/07, exim-users@??? (exim-users@???) wrote:
> Hi Rory,
>
> Rory Campbell-Lange schrieb:
> > I am having trouble setting up a commercial security certificate under Debian
> > testing, using Exim 4.63. Exim is reporting a Base64 decoding error.
> >
> > The keys and certificates are working for other applications on the server. I
> > presume the difficulties I am having stem from Debian's use of GnuTLS.
> >
> > The decoding error is similar to the one reported here:
> > http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=403072
> >
> > The issue is that "PEM format keys/certificates are base64 encoded" (James
> > Westby). The issue was worked around by decoding the key from PKCS#8 to RSA
> > format (Felix Palmen).
> >
> never used gnutls before, but from the information supplied, either
> newserver_co_uk.pem or newserver_co_uk.crt (or both) are not
> base64-encoded. openssl further wants pem-encoding by default, perhaps
> gnutls too:

Wierdly the problem seems to be that the .pem file IS base64 encoded.
The gnutls library can't decode it (according to
http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=403072).

If there is a way of unencoding the Base64 pem files I would be grateful
to know -- I'll play with uudeview later this morning and report back.

Regards,
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange