Re: [exim] TLS: Base64 decoding error

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS: Base64 decoding error
Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> I am having trouble setting up a commercial security certificate under Debian
> testing, using Exim 4.63. Exim is reporting a Base64 decoding error.
>
> The keys and certificates are working for other applications on the server. I
> presume the difficulties I am having stem from Debian's use of GnuTLS.

I gave up trying to fix problems with gnutls and exim under Debian and
just started compiling my own debian packages against openssl. It's not
as difficult as you might think:

apt-get source exim4
cd exim4-4.63
vi debian/rules

Find this section and uncomment the relevant line:

# If you want to build with OpenSSL instead of GnuTLS, uncomment this
# OPENSSL:=1
# Please note that building exim4-daemon-heavy with OpenSSL is a GPL
# violation.

debuild
cd ../
ls -l *.deb

There you have it. You can "hold" packages in Debian with:

echo "packagename hold"|dpkg --set-selections

To stop yourself from accidently overwriting your custom deb with a
quick apt-get upgrade

I also tend to "rm -rf /etc/exim4/*;vi /etc/exim4/exim4.conf" on Debian
boxes too but that's an entirely different issue.

Mike