Re: [exim] mysql and exim configuration

Author: Drav Sloan
To: A. Bal
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] mysql and exim configuration
A. Bal wrote:
> 1. I am building a web site and thought exim would be a nice
> Mail Transfer Agent to incorporate. My first thought is that all
> mail could be stored in a database instead of a filesystem. So, I
> would have exim be configured to work with a mysql DB. I have
> installed exim on Linux.

This was discussed on the list a while back, the general gist was
"it's possible", but it's not exactly an easy "plug in" as "just
stick this simple config section in ya configuration". Go search
the archives for the thread on it.

> Now, I don't know if I can do the above.

Then I suggest trying to get mysql as your "mailstore" is probably
a bad plan.

> Is there some configuration
> that I can follow that will explain step-by-step what needs to be
> installed on Linux, which libs I need to integrate the two and then
> exactly which conf files need to be configured for the mysql DB.

The exim manual covers mysql use/lookups and so on, and the exim
build file have relevent examples to compile exim to allow it to
talk to mysql.

> Even sample configuration that shows how it is done and is detailed
> enough.

I don't know if anyone has done a "mysql mailstore" exim, and
personally I believe that it's a "bad idea" [tm]. There are much
better ways of integrating a mail system with the web - exim /
imap / webmail as well documented and well understood example.

> Please let me know if the above is not possible.

It probably is possible, but would need a chunk of figuring out,
config jiggery-pokery and trial and error. This is my main reason
for NOT recommending it. If you don't even know how to compile exim
with mysql support (which is not complicated), trying to achieve a
vastly more complicated (and not widely used) system is probably
not a good idea.

> Also, is there
> other software that is necessary to be installed to get the above
> to work?

mysql + exim and probably some middleware self-coded scripts in
something like C or perl via ${run

Regards

Drav.