[exim] postmaster and wildcard domains

Author: Vaughan Crole
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] postmaster and wildcard domains
Hi everyone,

Try as I might to search through all the exim archives regarding domain
lists and postmaster and everything else, I'm still quite stumped about this
problem, and hope someone can kindly point me in the right direction with
exim.

We're running a basic DNS server, with many domains using us as the
nameserver specified in their WHOIS record. Now, by the letter of DNS law,
every domain must have a working MX record pointing to a working mail
server, with a postmaster account attached to this...

Now I can be quite sure in saying that 99.999% of the domains point to us as
the nameserver are not interested in ANY email from their domain, let alone
something from postmaster and/or hostmaster... So in the interests of
getting a few "more-strict" domain registrars working with us, I've set up a
exim4 server, in the hopes that it can accept any mail that comes it's way
that matches the rule "postmaster@*", and sticks it into :blackhole: or
/dev/null or equivalent...

Does anyone have any clear examples of what I'm trying to achieve here?
We're already spent a good day chasing our tails on this, and would greatly
appreciate any help one may give us...

Regards,

Vaughan Crole

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.