Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2007, W B Hacker wrote:
>
>> But one might then ask, how MACRO's compare in potential load with:
>>
>> - hostlists
>>
>> - lookups (in general)
>>
>> - lookups involving SQL calls
>
> Indeed. But all of those items can be omitted from the config if you
> don't want them. Predefined macros would not be optional.
>
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impressions that a 'hostlist' is
>> handled much as the described parsing for a MACRO, i.e. - end-to-end expansion &
>> substitution, called on or not...
>
> No. A hostlist is expanded only when Exim is about to scan it. That is,
> only when it is about to be used.
>
>> - while a 'lookup' - be it file, db, or SQL - is ignored until actually
>> encountered in acl that *uses* it, IOW, skipped in many cases.
>
> Indeed.

Welll.... I, too am a 'simple' man.

I'll take variable costs over fixed overhead on this one... basic grocery-store
'rithmatic. And 3000+ line configure files ..

Pulling all my MACROS' as soon as I am done wrassling with Squid logs...
I don't change 'em but a few times a year anyway.

;-)

Thanks!

Bill