Re: [exim] Noobie: configuration for smart host

Author: Haines Brown
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Noobie: configuration for smart host

Carlo, thanks for your patience. The problem seems to be that my host
(hartford-hwp.com/teufel.hartford-hwp.com) lacks an IP address,
although /etc/hosts has the line:

192.168.1.1 teufel.localdomain teufel

At Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:09:04 +0200,
Carlo Wood wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:26:06PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > In my /etc/hosts I have:
>
> The bottom line therefore makes little sense.

No, but that's what Exim4 installation gave me. So I changed my
/etc/hosts to:

127.0.0.1    localhost
192.168.1.1    teufel.localdomain teufel

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

[I also tried:
127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.1    teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel
but it made no difference].

I also changed my /etc/network/interfaces to be:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255

[I added the auto eth1 in case allow-hotplug eth1 was falling down on
the job, and I added these addresses for iface eth1].

> If your exim is the destination for the domain hartford-hwp.com
> then you should tell it so.

I also reconfigured exim4. For the question as to what mail
destinations will use this host, I don't know what the default was,
and so entered teufel.hartford-hwp.com;hartford-hwp.com (I'm told to
put here my domain name and its associated top level domain).

I looked at /etc/nsswitch.conf, where I have:

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

My reading of man nsswitch.conf seems to imply it should be

hosts:        dns files

but I've never had it that way and presume I'm misunderstanding.

> PS2 I noted that the MX record for hartford-hwp.com is
>     inbound.registeredsite.com -- this confuses me. You aren't
>     receiving mail directly it seems. Are you using your exim
>     to RECEIVE mail at all? Or only to send it? How many machine
>     do you have on your LAN? Just one?

Not sure of your question. I receive mail with exim4 on this machine,
which is the sole machine on the local network. My ISP is sbcglobal,
but I using my web host service, registeredsite.com, for my mail
server.

In any case, when I try to send a test message by rmail, I get in
/var/log/exim4/mainlog:

no IP address found for host brownh@???

when I sent the test message by Wanderlust, there's no error in
/var/log/exim4/maillog, but Wanderlust itself reports the error:

SMTP reponse error: 550, "relaying mail to sbcglobal.net not
allowed"

which you explained was the result of the failure to find any IP
address for the host brownh@???.

$ host hartford-hwp.com
hartford-hwp.com has address 64.227.154.66
hartford-hwp.com mail is handled by 5 inbound.registeredsite.com.

$ netstat -rn teufel
Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags  MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.111.0  0.0.0.0        255.255.255.0  U       0 0          0
eth1
0.0.0.0        192.168.111.1  0.0.0.0        UG      0 0          0
eth1

Haines

--
Haines Brown