Re: [exim] Noobie: configuration for smart host

Author: Haines Brown
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Noobie: configuration for smart host

> You don't want to telnet to localhost, because localhost
> is "local" and therefore (possibly) treated differently.
>
> Do your tests by telnetting to the internetface that
> you normally receive your email at (from the same box
> is not problem; just telnet mail.real.domain 25 should do).

I'm not sure to what interface you refer. In my /etc/hosts I have:

127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1    teufel.hartford-hwp.com    hartford-hwp.com teufel

On my older machines I always gave my machine an IP address as if I
were on a network:

127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.1      teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

but the new Etch installation never asked me for it and so I'm using
127.0.1.1, which I hope suffices.

I tried to telnet to 127.0.1.1, but telnet hangs, and exim4's mail log
says
"lookup of host 'brownh@???' failed in smarthost router"

An embarassing question: I understand that my ISP mail server is a
smart host, but is this saying my local host is a smart host as well?
Am I running a mail server?

I'm using a hardware firewall, and so when I do # ipconfig -a, my eth1
interface is 192.168.111.2, which is the address I use with the
firewall. Telnet can't find any hostname for that address, and exim4
main log says: "rejected RCPT brownh@???: relay not
permitted". Same thing happens when I telnet to my domain name.

Another embarassing question: my local host should not be set up for
relaying, and so why am I getting "relay not permitted" error messages?

Haines

--
Haines Brown
Haines Brown's Profile: http://www.exim-users.org/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=269