[exim] Maillog explaination

Author: kai4785
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Maillog explaination

I am having difficulty finding an explaination for some of the entries
in /var/log/maillog. For example:

Apr 24 12:56:39 box29 pop3d: TIMEOUT, user=email@domain,
ip=[::ffff:123.123.123.123], top=0, retr=407317, time=4954

I don't have a solid answer for what 'top', 'retr', and 'time' values
are. I have a specific user that is generating a log very much like the
one above.

I assume 'retr' are number of retries, and 'time' is number of seconds
the session was open. Can you verify for me that this is the server
trying to connect to the client to respond with the requseted
information?

While I'm here, I am also interested in the imapd values:
Apr 20 04:19:31 box29 imapd: DISCONNECTED, user=email@???,
ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=711, time=0

This is a webmail session that was disconnected, I assume because the
client closed the browser window while trying to retreive something,
but I'm not quite sure.

Our servers are running exim v 4.63.

# exim -bV
Exim version 4.63 #1 built 29-Nov-2006 16:50:59
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2006
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (February 18,
2005)
Support for: crypteq iconv() PAM Perl OpenSSL Content_Scanning
Old_Demime
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch dbm dbmnz
Authenticators: cram_md5 plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir autoreply pipe smtp
Size of off_t: 8
Configuration file is /etc/exim.conf

An explaination on what these values mean or where the documentation on
these log files would be found would be very much appreciated.

--
kai4785
kai4785's Profile: http://www.exim-users.org/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=273