Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 35, Issue 31

Author: Jonathan Knight
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim-users Digest, Vol 35, Issue 31

> From: Mike Brudenell <pmb1@???>

> We are in the throes of setting up a test system to move to using Exim
> as the MTA, Dovecot as the IMAP server and Dovecot's "deliver" as the LDA.
>
> Instead I would like to continue our current practice of deferring
> delivery of the incoming message, so that Exim retries it periodically
> in the the recipient frees up mailbox space.

We use Exim with dovecot, but I don't use the "deliver" feature of
dovecot. Instead I simply use the standard exim local user delivery
driver (appendfile). Using that we can then use exim's quota system
with all its clever retry policies and configurable error messages.

We have an inbox quota of 100MB, we send a warning when the user crosses
the 80MB point. If a mailbox is over quota then we retry deliveries for
6 days trying every 4 hours. We warn the sender after 30 minutes and
then every day if the message hasn't been delivered.

If the mailbox hasn't been read for 10 days and it's over quota then we
return the email immediately and don't do any retries.

--
   ______    J.Knight@???     Jonathan Knight,
     /                                    Computing Services